CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mole Hills

Grrrrr.... The moles are destroying my back yard and moving to my front yard...

A bunch of government entities decided to make a better space for the salmon, so they completely redirected the Green River behind my house. While this was going on, the moles, who I had managed to keep at bay after several years of diligence, got very pissed off at the all of the heavy equipment and returned, with a vengeance...Besides the fact that the dirt hills look terrible, they bring up a bunch of rock too, it makes it impossible to safely mow what little grass (mostly weeds) we have--the rocks come flying out of those mole hills and cause ugly damage.

I've tried the pinwheels, but there's just not enough wind right now to keep them moving...


or the moles are just being plain mean...

So, I was watching an episode of Gardening with Cisco that told of a safe way to help keep the varmints at bay (I can't find the episode on-line, but I love Cisco). The idea was to take a bunch of mint plants, cut them up, toss them in your blender and then cook them for a while. When they are done simmering, dump the mixture down the
holes. Well, that sounded interesting, but I don't have bunches of mint lying around and my kitchen just didn't seem big enough for that kind of production, so I improvised--I bought a bunch of spearmint hard star candies and melted them with boiling water. With a 5 gallon pail and baster, I flattened mole hills and delivered doses of spearminty water. There's some great dirt that I could use in those mole hills, but I just couldn't figure out where to put it, so I guess it will just have to go back into the yard...I'll spend some more time in the yard next week-end if the weather isn't too bad, flatten out some more hills-- lol mountains out of mole hills ...

We did however get great deal on some primroses...

I can't pass up a good deal on flowers-- it was nice to plant some early color -- Bring on springtime !!







0 comments: